A quote of inspiration
“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
― Lou Holtz
Each week I will highlight something about Rotary that all Rotarians should know or be aware of.
INTERNATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF A ROTARIAN
As an international organization, Rotary offers each member unique opportunities and responsibilities. Although each Rotarian has first responsibility to uphold the obligations of citizenship of his or her own country, membership in Rotary enables Rotarians to take a somewhat different view of international affairs. In the early 1950s a Rotary philosophy was adopted to describe how a Rotarian may think on a global basis. Here is what it said:
“A world-minded Rotarian:
• looks beyond national patriotism and considers himself as sharing responsibility for the advancement of international understanding, goodwill and peace;
• resists any tendency to act in terms of national or racial superiority;
• seeks and develops common grounds for agreement with peoples of other lands;
• defends the rule of law and order to preserve the liberty of the individual so that he may enjoy freedom of thought, speech and assembly, and freedom from persecution, aggression, want and fear;
• supports action directed toward improving standards of living for all peoples, realizing that poverty anywhere endangers prosperity everywhere;
• upholds the principles of justice for mankind;
• strives always to promote peace between nations and prepares to make personal sacrifices for that ideal;
• urges and practices a spirit of understanding of every other man’s beliefs as a step toward international goodwill, recognizing that there are certain basic moral and spiritual standards which will ensure a richer, fuller life.” (9)
That is quite an assignment for any Rotarian to practice in thoughts and actions! GOOD LUCK
This year’s Rotary International President is Holger Knaack, a member of the Rotary Club of Herzogtum Lauenburg-Mölln, Germany.
“Bringing more women into Rotary is one of our core values, that is very simple, and we should honour those values.”
Holger Knaack is a member of the Rotary Club of Herzogtum Lauenburg-Mölln, Germany. His 2020-21 presidential theme – “Rotary Opens Opportunities”
MAKES ME PROUD TO BE A ROTARIAN IN THE ROTARY CLUB OF ST. LOUIS
The Four-Way Test of the things we think, say or do
- Is it the truth?
- Is it fair to all concerned?
- Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
- Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
The Community Service Committee has a well though out process to determine the Welfare Fund Grants presented each year. This year we gave out grants to 15 very deserving Organizations that have capital needs to do service in the community. Well done and thank to the Committee and Congratulations to the recipients.
This week’s program will be presented by Monsignor Bommarito. He will give us a history and update on PIAZZA IMO on the Hill. It should be a wonderful and enlightening program. Please try to attend!!!
We are continuing to work to make the zoom presentations better every week. Please let Joan know if you have and suggestions and she will pass them on to the MAC who is handling the production of the video.
ZOOM BROADCAST WILL CONTINUE FOR AT LEAST UNTIL THE END OF AUGUST FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT MAKE IT IN PERSON.
Remember to complete the new pre-meeting online registration starting with this meeting that Joan will send out. This pertains to both those attending live and virtually. Although this is not mandatory (yet) please respond to the email to give us a good idea of attendance. It worked very well last week.
PLEASE CONTINUE TO WORK AT BEING HEALTHY DURING THESE TRYING TIMES
“Call a Rotarian” – Past President Bob Garagiola kicked off this program on April 7th 2020. Let’s see if we can keep this going in support of Bob. I think this is a good gesture and will help keep us connected. And you will feel good just to make a “personal” connection. I know I have and if you do also, you’ll be amazed at the results.
Finally, if you have questions, concerns, or ideas regarding Club 11 please contact either me or our office
My e-mail is:
President St Louis Rotary Club