April 13 is World Scrabble Day
Brush up on your knowledge of Scrabble with these fun facts. Some may surprise you!
- The game Scrabble was invented in 1938 by Alfred Mosher Butts, an American architect.
- The original name for Scrabble was Lexico.
- There is a Braille version of Scrabble for blind players.
- The game of Scrabble is sold in 121 countries and it is available in 31 different languages.
- John Travolta, Carol Burnett, and Jimmy Kimmel all love to play Scrabble.
- If you lined up all the Scrabble tiles ever produced, they would make a line longer than 50,000 miles!
- The World Scrabble Championship has been an open event since 2014.
- It is possible to score 1782 points for the word oxyphenbutazone, placed strategically on the board.